The logo of adu contractors, indicating they specialize in damage repair services related to water, fire, mold, and storms.
Does Water Damage Mean Mold?

Does Water Damage Mean Mold?

Water damage is a serious issue that causes more issues than property damage, wet walls, and wet floors. The real risk of moisture in your home is mold growth.

Water damage in your home can get out of control before you know it. While prevention is always the best solution, proper cleanup is essential.

Within 24 hours, mold can start to fester in the damp corners of your home, so you’ll need to start sanitizing at the first signs to prevent threatening contamination.

Can You Dry The Water Damage Yourself?

You may be tempted to grab a towel and start drying a leak pouring down your wall. That’s the right instinct, but that will not repair the damage permanently.

In fact, even with powerful water vacuums, it can be challenging to be sure the moisture is gone. Water will seep into any crack or hole, an ideal spot for mildew growth.

Most people do not have access to professional equipment that can snuff out any pesky hidden pockets of this fungus. Think twice before drying water damage yourself, as you do not want to risk any mold propagating.

Read more: How long does it take for mold to grow?

Does Water Damage Always Cause Mold?

Unless you quickly clean up a spilled glass of water, you can bet water damage will cause mold. It loves standing water, and it will start to grow in less than a day.

Mold will not stop growing unless it is physically removed. It is a system that only gets larger and larger in the presence of moisture. Not only does water damage cause this fungus and creates the perfect atmosphere for a colony to move in and be the worst roommate you could imagine.

The season does not matter. This hearty fungus will pop up in the summer or the winter. In fact, spores can even grow in a leaking fridge or freezer. Mold only needs three things to thrive: starch or sugar, oxygen, and moisture. That’s all it takes to start a colony, which means your wooden walls are at risk just as much as that old cheese in the fridge.

What is Mold?

Mold is a small fungus that multiplies through tiny spores. They can appear as fuzzy or slimy patches of white, pink, green, brown, or orange. The infamous toxic black variety blooms in moist, wet places. Mold also gives off a distinctive musty and damp odor.

In nature, mold helps break down organic material and completes the decomposition cycle. However, you do not want this decomposition to enter your home.

You tend to find mold in dark areas. Common breeding grounds include, under the sink, the basement, behind drywall, doorways, and corners.

Don’t forget to look up too. Mold can grow on your ceiling, too, as warm air rises. Your bathroom is a prime spot for it to grow, so always keep your fan on or open a window when taking hot showers. Check your attic, too, this room is often poorly insulated and a great place for mildew to get started.

Read more: The dangers of hidden mold from a leaking roof

Yellow Mold On Brown Bricks

Is Mold Dangerous?

In a word: yes. All mold and, especially black mold, can cause chronic wheezing and coughing. Irritation to the eyes may occur, and sneezing and hay fever symptoms are also common.

It can be even more dangerous if you have pre-existing allergies or asthma. There have been reports of vomiting, rashes, blood in the lungs, and constant lethargy in those who are allergic.

One major threat from mold is how easily it spreads. These minuscule lightweight spores get sucked into your HVAC system and are sent flying into every room, nook, and cranny.

Mildew and mold eat organic material, so growth on walls, cabinets, and insulation is harmful to your health and threatens your house’s structural integrity. If left untreated, it can literally bring your house down.

Prolonged exposure to toxic mold will cause long-term health hazards, so do not procrastinate removing it. Mold can hurt you and your loved ones and should be taken as a biohazard that needs professional removal.

How Do You Prevent Mold From Water Damage?

To prevent mold, you need to act quickly. Take preventative steps at the first signs of water seeping into your home to lessen the chance of a mold infestation.

  • Turn off all water to your home. This will stop an internal leak and gives you time to prepare before help arrives.
  • Turn on your dehumidifier or open the windows. You want to get all moisture out and as much dry air in as possible.
  • Remove all rugs, carpets, or furniture affected. Cotton fabrics will soak in water and will have to be thrown out if the fungus takes hold.
  • Take pictures of all the damage for your insurance. You may be covered for a restoration service that can help safely remove mold from your belongings.
  • Practice long-term prevention. Ask a home protection expert to thoroughly inspect your house to check insulation, review old pipes, and search for every potential leak. All Dry USA offers all these services and is passionate about securing your home from water damage and mold growth.

Read more: How to get rid of stagnant water

Conclusion — Get Help Today

If you have spotted mold in your home, reach out to All Dry USA before it’s too late. With a decade-plus of mold removal experience, we are the experts on keeping your home clean and safe for your family.

At All Dry USA, we know mold’s tricky hiding spots and can locate the problem areas without tearing down any walls or causing more damage in the investigation.

We’ve seen every color, spore, and colony out there, so call (888) 998-2379 today and rest easy knowing the professionals are on their way!


Before You Go

We know that you'll love our service!

Schedule an inspection with All Dry USA today.


Schedule Inspection