25 Apr How to Get Rid of Carpet Odor After Water Damage
Water damage is the second most popular claim that homeowners in America make on their home insurance. The types of water damage are numerous; water damage can be the consequence of extreme weather events that are out of your control, like flooding, heavy rainfall, a snow storm or pipes that burst in the cold of winter. Sometimes a homeowner is to blame for water damage, as it is frequently caused by accidentally leaving the tap on in the bathroom, kitchen or shower.
Whatever the cause of water damage, anyone who has experienced it knows that it leaves a serious clean-up operation in its wake. Not only is the furniture frequently ruined, and delicate domestic keepsakes destroyed, but often, even after the initial damage control, a bad smell is left behind.
Why a Lingering Smell After Water Damage Just Isn’t Safe
Perhaps after the initial process of mopping up the water, throwing things away that can’t be saved, and drying what remains, you may believe your clean-up operation is finished. However, you shouldn’t be so sure. As long as a scent remains, a significant threat to your home is still there, long after the most intense of the water damage is gone.
A bad smell emanating from your carpet signifies a strong risk that mold or mildew is growing within it. Mold and mildew thrive in damp conditions and can spread like wildfire, causing significant damage to your home. Both your carpet and flooring can be at the risk of premature decay as a result of mold growth, but even worse than that – it poses a risk to the health of you and your family.
Mold and mildew can exacerbate existing respiratory problems and can even create them in young children. Their deposits of fungal spores can weaken the immune system and put everyone in the home at greater risk of infection or virus.
A bad smell coming from your carpet isn’t just a bad smell – it’s a threat to your home, your property, and the health of your family.
What Can I Do to Treat Water Damage?
Luckily, the bad smell that lurks in your upholstery after an instance of water damage isn’t untreatable. There are many small, practical steps you yourself can take to minimize the scent and improve the overall atmosphere of your home.
- Leaving all the doors and windows open after an instance of water damage – unless it’s raining! Airflow running through your home will help alleviate the scent and speed the drying process.
- Use a dehumidifier. These can stop the spread of mold and mildew by removing excess moisture from the air.
- Spritz the area with a mixture of water and vinegar to remove bacteria.
These will somewhat help alleviate the problems caused by water damage, but alone they’re not enough.
Only a Team of Professionals Will Banish the Scent – For Good
If you want to make sure that mold and mildew is banished for good, and that the bad smell is eliminated from your carpet forever – it’s time to call an expert. At All Dry USA, we know our way around a carpet – we’re national leaders in the field, due to our expert, specialized carpet cleaning services.
At All Dry USA, we can help with expert cleaning of all different types of carpet, including more niche or luxurious models, like Persian rugs. We carefully treat every carpet with the best range of high-quality industrial materials, providing a service that no layman could every recreate at home. After an instance of water damage, we will restore your carpet to its former glory so well – even you will forget the flood!
Only professionals can offer an intensive carpet cleaning service that will guarantee the bad scent, and all its unwanted side-effects, are banished from your home forever.
All Dry USA will make sure:
- All water is extracted, and everything is completely dry. Using state-of-the-art fans and dehumidifiers, we will make sure that any trace of the water is completely gone.
- Even the most stubborn of stains will be eradicated.
- Everything is thoroughly cleaned, and completely disinfected with the best of new carpet cleaning equipment and technology.
- Not a trace of a foul scent remains. Due to the deep disinfection and cleaning process, no trace of a musty scent will remain in your property after this instance of expert carpet cleaning.
This should guarantee that your home and your family are free from the scourge of a bad smell after a serious instance of water damage. Instead, you get a carpet that’s as good as new – at an incredibly affordable price point!