The logo of adu contractors, indicating they specialize in damage repair services related to water, fire, mold, and storms.
Will Mold Die If It Dries Out?

Will Mold Die If It Dries Out?

Dry mold is safe mold, right? Think again.

While it’s true that mold spores will only multiply with a source of moisture, dry mold spores can stay dormant for long periods of time, waiting for moisture to come back. Once they come into contact with water, they re-activate and start growing once again.

This fungus can damage walls, carpet, tiles, and other surfaces within the home. It can also lead to a number of different health concerns, including respiratory issues.

While everyone responds to mold in their own way, countless studies show just how dangerous it can be. Some people may not notice a difference, while others can have mild allergic reactions. It can get even worse for certain individuals, with the potential for toxigenic response.

If you want to protect your home and those who live within it, keep reading. We’ll cover everything you need to know about dry mold.

Moisture: The Mold Instigator

Mold From Moisture

Mold thrives in moisture. For it to grow, it needs a combination of these conditions:

  • First, it needs a warm location.
  • Next, there needs to be moisture present (whether in the form of water or vapor).
  • Finally, it needs organic materials that provide nutrients.

When all three of these conditions are present, it creates the perfect storm for mold.

This fungus is attracted to organic materials like paper, wood, or drywall. It also loves dark, dank places like basements, bathrooms, and beneath carpets. Some other common locations to spot it include kitchens, laundry rooms, and pool patios.

What do all of these locations have in common? The presence of moisture nearby. Without moisture, mold won’t reproduce and spread rapidly. But with it, it can quickly grow into an out-of-control infestation.

So, is mold without moisture under control? Let’s take a look.

Will Mold Eventually Die Without Moisture?

As previously mentioned, this fungus needs water to grow. However, it doesn’t need water to survive. There’s a difference.

When it no longer has access to a constant water supply, the spores will simply “go to sleep.” They can remain dormant in this form for a long time – in the right conditions, and depending on the specific type of mold. Spores can remain for hundreds of years.

These stubborn spores will hold out as long as it is necessary to find water again. Even if you cut off the supply of water or humidity to a mold infestation, it won’t just “go away.” It will still remain there in its dormant state.

For this reason, it’s not enough to just eliminate humidity from the equation. If you never want to see mold infestation again, you need to completely eradicate the spores as well as the contaminated materials.

Remember: Mold grows quickly. The first spores can start developing within 24-48 hours of a house material getting wet. Once the development phase begins, it will spread exponentially until it is fully eradicated. Any delays or procrastination will only make matters worse.

To avoid this fungus’ growth in the first place, respond quickly to any water-damaged materials in your home by drying it out completely.

Read more: How to get rid of mold mites

Is Dry Mold Harmful To Your Health?

When mold dries out, the spores become temporarily inactive. While it might not be spreading like wildfire in this state, it can still irritate allergies and lead to unwanted health reactions.

Many people are under the false assumption that mold is only dangerous if you touch it, but even dormant fungus can cause symptoms like runny nose, itchy eyes, coughing/sneezing, and skin rashes.

Because spores are so tiny, they can easily get inhaled and lead to health problems even without any direct contact.

Mold Harmful To Health

The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as the World Health Organization and other health agencies all agree: exposure to mold at home, in any of its forms, can increase your chances of developing a respiratory illness.

Molds produce allergens as well as other potentially toxic materials. If you inhale the spores (even dry ones), you’re at risk of developing:

  • Asthma and wheezing
  • Allergic reactions
  • Mental confusion
  • Nose, skin, or eye irritation
  • Neurological issues
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue

So even leaving dry spores in your home is a health threat. If you want to live a happy, healthy, fungus-free life, the entire infestation needs to be removed.

Does Inactive Mold Need to Be Removed?

Dry mold spores, without moisture, are also much lighter than their active counterparts. Their lightweight nature can easily make them become airborne, spreading to other areas of the home and contaminating them.

While you may have gotten rid of your moisture problem in one area of the home, the airborne spores may move into a damp area where they can re-active and begin reproducing.

Additionally, even fungus that lies dormant in one place can threaten the health of those who live there. For these reasons, any and all fungal spores need to be physically removed from the premises. It’s not enough to merely “kill” the mold. The spores need to be taken out of your home for good.

Sound like a major undertaking? It doesn’t have to be!

Read more:  What Is The Difference between Mold and Mildew?

Several trucks labeled "Property Damage Specialist" are parked in a row, each with "ADC" branding and American flag imagery. Orange equipment for leak detection and restoration services is lined up in front of the trucks.

Making the Right Decision for Your Health

The bottom line is that all types of mold make an impact on your home and your health. Even if you’ve been living with it dormant for a while, it doesn’t protect you against any future risks.

Too much airflow can easily push the lightweight, dry spores around the home onto other materials and surfaces that had not been compromised yet. On the other hand, if anyone in your home has been experiencing mild allergy symptoms without a known cause, it could be pointing to your dry mold infestation.

The best way to fight this fungus when it’s already present and prevent any more from growing is to hire our All Dry USA mold removal and remediation team.

At All Dry USA, we will locate and remove every last trace of dry mold in your home so you can reduce your risks and rest easy. Contact us today to schedule your service.


Before You Go

We know that you'll love our service!

Schedule an inspection with All Dry USA today.


Schedule Inspection