Can You Mix Bleach and Vinegar to Kill Mold?
If you have just spotted mold growing in your home, you are probably searching for a quick way to eliminate it before the spread worsens.
Lucky for you, many easy-to-use home remedies can quickly clear up small mold infestations in no time at all.
One of the more commonly used mold infestation solutions is a combination of bleach and mold in the affected area. Read whether our expert team at All Dry USA thinks this concoction works!
Is it Possible to Use a Bleach and Vinegar Combination to Kill Mold?
To start, let’s look at both bleach and vinegar and what they can do to kill mold.
Most people assume that bleach is a cure-all for mold issues. It is true that it is a very strong cleaner and will kill mildew. Bleach can kill off mold but is not as effective as vinegar. That’s because vinegar seeps into porous materials that mold grows on, such as wood. Bleach is a great surface cleaner but has difficulty removing spores because it doesn’t seep into the material below the surface layer.
So, now we know these cleaners can kill bleach with slightly different outcomes. The question becomes: are two solutions more effective when combined?
The short answer is no, you shouldn’t; a combination of bleach and vinegar is not recommended to treat mold growth. Mixing these two powerful chemicals releases a toxic chlorine gas and can cause serious harm! We suggest sticking with vinegar by itself or calling the mold remediation pros at All Dry USA for assistance.
Read more: Getting mold out of your clothes easily
The Dangers that You Should Know
Before you combine anything with bleach to kill mold, you should know that bleach is a powerful chemical that is dangerous if not used properly.
Most highly concentrated chemicals give off a strong aroma as a warning sign not to inhale or ingest. Bleach is one of those chemicals. That’s because one of the main components found in bleach is chlorine, which is poisonous. While small amounts of this chemical are relatively harmless, large amounts of bleach can be incredibly toxic if used incorrectly.
Breathing in or ingesting these chemicals can be fatal, so proper safety precautions should be taken at all times to minimize these risks.
Vinegar is more natural and poses a lesser risk, but the combination of the two is equally as dangerous as bleach alone.
Read more: You can also use soap to kill mold!
Whenever you work with any chemicals, there are safety precautions that you must take, according to the OSHA:
Welcome Fresh Air In
If you plan to clean an indoor location, you must ensure that the area is well-ventilated. To do this, start by either removing the mold-infested piece of furniture and working on it outside or opening all windows so you will get a nice flow of fresh air throughout the home.
Dress for the Job
Additionally, you should always wear gloves when working with any chemical. This will prevent the chemical from coming in contact with and damaging your bare skin. It also helps reduce contact with your eyes and mouth significantly if you are sure to keep the gloves on and remove them properly.
Read more: Can a dehumidifier prevent mold?
Even with this potent, non-recommended homemade concoction, there is still the chance that mold infestation will not go away. You might decide that you’d instead hire a team with experience in removing 100% of the mold fast.
- Beyond Odor: Unveiling the True Dangers of Smoke Damage - 20 September, 2023
- Choosing the Right Partner: How to Select the Best Water Damage Restoration Service - 13 September, 2023
- DIY or Pro Help? The Smart Approach to Water Damage Restoration - 5 September, 2023