Found Mold on Furniture or Upholstery? Here’s What to Do
Finding mold anywhere in your home can be a shocking moment. One of the most stressful places to find it is on your furniture and upholstery. Replacing these items in your home can become very costly, so it is important to act fast to remove the infestation. So how do you remove the mold, and how do you make sure that it does not return? We have a guide to help you navigate this stressful time with ease!
So, you have mold on your furniture, but why? It is important to understand how this infestation occurred so that you can avoid this happening in the future. Mold grows in your home when an area is overly damp or humid. This could be the result of:
- A leaking pipe
- A leaking roof
- A leaking window
- Water damage from flooding
Try looking around your house near the affected areas to identify any source of leaking. We suggest you hire a professional team to inspect your house and fix any potential sources of dampness. All Dry USA’s professionals will also inspect your home and eliminate any mold in hidden places.
How to Get Rid of Mold on Furniture
There are several different ways you can attempt to get rid of mold in your home. We always suggest attempting to remove the majority of the growth first. Most of the time, your furniture is salvageable, and there is no need to throw it out. Replacing furniture can become very expensive and is often unnecessary. Check out these effective ways to remove the mold on your furniture and upholstery!
- Vinegar: This is a common household item, so you likely won’t even have to make an additional purchase for this method! The acidity in vinegar makes it very effective against most types of mold. Spray the vinegar on any affected area and scrub. Try adding baking soda if this method is unsuccessful.
- Tea Tree Oil: This works best on wardrobe furniture. Mix the tea tree oil with water and spray over any affected area of your furniture. Let the spray rest for a few minutes, and then scrub away your pesky mold!
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide is useful for clearing mold, fungus, bacteria, and viruses. It is used commonly for cleaning around the whole house by many homeowners, and you probably already have it in your home! Make sure your hydrogen peroxide is 3% concentrated. Spray it over your furniture and let it sit. Wipe down your furniture later and you should be free of the problem.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is a safe, natural option to clean your furniture. We suggest using this if you have young children or pets in your home. Apply the baking soda to your furniture and wipe it down later.
- Borax: Be careful when using borax as it is a chemical that can be harmful if ingested. We do not suggest using this method if you have pets or young children around the house! Ingesting borax is toxic and can lead to serious complications. However, this is one of the best working solutions to clear your home of mold. Mix one gallon of water and one cup of borax, spray over the affected area, and let it settle. Scrub the surface with a sponge or small toothbrush, and you should have mold-free furniture.
When to Hire a Professional
If you are facing more than a small amount of mold or cannot locate the cause behind its growth, it may be time to hire a professional. A professional team can help you remove and locate the source of the mold growth. Many times, mold is the product of serious water damage that you may not even know has occurred. When facing water damage, mold removal becomes a much larger project and you will certainly need help.
Mold can grow in unexpected places, and sometimes places that you can’t even see! We always suggest hiring a team to inspect your house for further damage if you have spotted any mold around your house. Mold can lead to serious health complications and damage to the structural integrity of your house. A professional can restore your house from water damage complications quickly so you can rest easy knowing your home is safe and you and your loved ones are healthy.