facebook
Antimicrobial Spray

Should You Use Antimicrobial Spray After Water Damage?

Water damage is the worst thing that could happen to a home or business. It leads to a whole host of problems, from irreversible structural damage to mold and other bacteria that can be harmful to your health and the health of others.

So it makes sense that you would want to do everything in your power to minimize the damage, but sometimes it is not a good idea to use just anything to fix the issue.

Some people think it is wise to use antimicrobial sprays after water damage, which can be true but is ill-advised unless you’re a professional.

What Is Antimicrobial Spray?

Antimicrobial products kill or slow the spread of microorganisms that happen to be in your home due to damage caused by floods, fires, or mold.

The EPA regulates antimicrobials such as a pesticide and, as such, should be used with caution.

There are three main types of antimicrobials, and they are:

  • Sanitizers
  • Disinfectants
  • Sterilizers

These products kill all manner of:

  • Bacteria
  • Fungi
  • Viruses
  • Spores

They come in many forms, including sprays, liquids, gels, and granules.

What Does Antimicrobial Spray Do?

Antimicrobials operate at a cellular concentration to persistently interrupt and inhibit the growth of microbes. It is a biocide that instantly kills any microscopic life.

Person Holding Antimicrobial Spray

Antimicrobials defend countertops, playthings, surfaces, textiles, and hospital apparatus by establishing an unwelcoming ecosystem for germs like bacteria, mold, and mildew.

Are There Health Risks Associated With Antimicrobial Sprays?

Although antimicrobial sprays help kill the growth of microbes, this can be harmful to the human body.

If a person is unlucky enough to ingest antimicrobials, they are almost certain to endanger their health.

This is because antimicrobial sprays can kill the good flora in your body and open you up to the risk of infection. The spray can not distinguish between good and bad bacteria; it only knows its intended purpose is to kill bacteria.

Other health issues associated with the use of antimicrobial sprays include:

  • Acute Antimicrobial Pesticide-Related Illnesses
  • Cancer
  • Allergic reactions
  • Respiratory issues
  • Digestive issues

When considering how antimicrobial products can harm your health, it is best to leave the use of antimicrobial sprays to professionals.

Always keep these products stored and locked away safely and out of the reach of children.

Are Antimicrobials Effective for Water Damage?

The application of antimicrobials is not advised to repair interior water-damaged or bacterial-infected locations unless the source has been revealed to be contaminated.

But, if harmful bacteria are present as a result of the incident, then it is advised to use an antimicrobial, so long as it is used safely and in conjunction with the manufacturer’s explicit instructions.

In layman’s terms, if there are no bacteria present, then use soap and water or something that is not as harsh to clean up after an accident.

Why expose yourself to dangerous chemicals unnecessarily?

Your best bet is to reach out to an expert and have them determine if the area is contaminated and needs professional remediation. Always leave harsh chemicals to those with experience.

If I Do Decide To Use an Antimicrobial Spray on My Own, What Precautions Should I Take?

When working with an antimicrobial spray, please ensure you adhere to the following safety guidelines:

  1. Wear a mask to avoid breathing in any chemicals and triggering an asthma attack if you have asthma.
  2. Make sure the room has good ventilation to avoid a build-up of chemicals.
  3. Wear gloves because antimicrobial can irritate some people’s skin.
  4. Make sure there is no food around when you spray. If you leave food out when using an antimicrobial spray, please dispose of the food to avoid illness.
  5. Make sure pets and children are far away from the spray.
  6. Ensure no antimicrobial pours into the drains, which can be harmful to the water system.
  7. Properly dispose of any cloth that comes into contact with the spray after use.
  8. If you ingest any antimicrobial spray, please follow any first aid guidelines directed by the bottle and call poison control.
  9. Follow the instructions on the bottle without swaying.

Conclusion

So, now you know the dangers, pitfalls, and positives of antimicrobial sprays, it is time to call All Dry USA to help you!

All Dry USA is a damage repair company that specializes in water and fire damage repair and mold remediation. We are highly skilled and experienced with ten years of business under our belt.

We only use the best equipment and guide you every step of the way when doing business with us. Not only do we fix the problem, but we will also help restore and rescue what we can and help you rebuild after a disaster.

Check out our services and learn more about us!

Call All Dry USA now, and keep your home clean and fresh.

Ben Suiskind
Latest posts by Ben Suiskind (see all)
Call Us Now

Before You Go

We know that you'll love our service!

Schedule an inspection with All Dry USA today.

 

Schedule Inspection