When we say that something is “moldy,” what do we mean? The term can be applied to an enormous group of fungal species that produce growth on objects, particularly on fruit. A moldy peach, for example, is inedible, even dangerous to eat. People who are allergic to mold can suffer a number of health problems if exposed to it, even if they don’t ingest it! Mold growth in residential structures is quite common. Often the result of elevated moisture levels or prior water damage, they can cause a whole host of health and structural issues.
Many homeowners who survive traumatic events, such as floods, move back in as soon as they can and leave immersed areas untreated. It is not their fault, of course. In most instances, water damage doesn’t look destructive. The walls or the sheet rock may be noticeably wet, but they’ll dry out…right? Well, maybe. But in many cases mold will grow and spread in a subtle, insidious way. Most homeowners are blissfully unaware that they have it. All they know is that they feel lousy!
Mold produces allergens that may cause mild to serious allergic reactions in people who are exposed to it on a regular basis. Common symptoms include skin irritation, sneezing, watery eyes, and severe respiratory problems. If any member of you household experiences these symptoms and your abode has noticeable water damage , it is important to contact a mold remediation service today!
Mold generally appears about a day or two after there has been some type of water damage. Whether it is caused by a flood or even a heavy rainstorm, mold grows quickly due to high moisture levels. The longer the issue is ignored, the more costly it will be to remediate. Not to mention the fact that mold problems will return if they are not properly treated by trained professionals.
It is not simply a matter of getting rid of unsightly discolorations on ceilings, walls, and floors. If the entire area is not sanitized, disinfected, dehumidified, and opened up to the air, the mold may come back stronger than before. To save yourself time, money, and stress, it is always best to call a professional mold remediation service.