As technologically advanced as we may be, nature can still wreak havoc on our lives if it gains access to our homes. Accidents, natural disasters, plumbing or electrical problems can destroy everything we own or hold dear in the blink of an eye. There is no way to protect your home completely from these unforeseen or overwhelming events. Many families are left to simply pick up the pieces after a fire, flood, or hurricane. But there is something productive they can do!
No matter the source or the damage it has caused, time is your worst enemy after water enters your premises. Mold can begin to grow in as little a day after a pipe bursts or a flood leaves standing water.
When the water eventually evaporates, the damp ceilings, walls, and floors often serve as breeding grounds for mold, which can cause a whole host of health problems in people with allergies. When inhaled, the spores that they release generally cause coughing, sneezing, watery and itchy eyes, headaches, and even serious respiratory issues. If you locate a mold colony in your home, do not remove it on your own! Disturbing these fungal species will only cause them to release more of their spores into the air, which may exacerbate the symptoms of allergic individuals. Furthermore, normal household cleaners may not kill mold.
Only experienced remediation technicians are qualified to deal with serious mold infestations. It is also important to note that simply removing the mold itself is not enough. If the entire affected area is not treated with professional cleaning products and disinfectants, the mold will most likely return. The problem may even grow worse the second time around.
A fire can completely destroy a residential structure in a matter of minutes. Even if the home is still standing, odors and soot damage can render it uninhabitable. Just as with water damage, time is of the essence. The first step is to protect the premises from the elements by boarding it up. Then a fire restoration expert can be called in to survey the damage. In most cases, items that have survived more or less intact can be completely restored. We can also remove and discard building materials that must be replaced.
Home fires almost always leave carbon deposits, also known as soot, on everything in the affected area. This black powdery substance not only stains most surfaces, it also imparts an unpleasant odor. The worst thing any homeowner can do about soot is to try to remove it with regular household cleaning products. They almost always end up rubbing the substance into the material or surface, which inevitably makes things worse. Soot must be removed by trained professionals who use cutting-edge equipment and techniques to restore items to their pre-fire condition. A proper restoration job not only saves time, it also saves money. In many cases, it may lower repainting and redecorating costs.