25 Oct How to Remove Mold from Fabric Furniture 3 Different Ways
There is nothing more frightening than the possibility of moldy furniture. Whether it be at work, at home, or in public, it’s always best to avoid furniture that sprouts spores. This is not just because the word “fungus” tends to elicit a retching sound; exposing yourself to its pathogens can cause you physical harm. In 2004, the Institute of Medicine linked mold exposure to health problems such as wheezing, cough, and upper respiratory tract symptoms.
With mold, you need to be constantly on alert. Water damage can strike at any time. Excessive humidity, leaky ceilings, and flooding are just some of the ways that moisture can find its way into your furniture, and it only takes 24 hours for mold to begin its damaging growth. Thus, despite all the vacuuming, cleaning, and maintenance, you can still end up with a moldy couch.
Luckily you can combat mold through some tried and true methods. At All Dry USA, we’ve used our history of remediation to provide you with some tactics to defeat fungus in your belongings. Here are three proven methods to remove mold from furniture.
1. Harness the Antibacterial Power of Vinegar
Vinegar is great against mold. Naturally equipped with acidic properties, vinegar has been proven to eradicate the deterioration caused by excessive moisture. In fact, the USDA states that vinegar is 80% effective at removing mildew, mold, and other toxic bacteria.
The best way to use vinegar is to dilute it by mixing one part vinegar with one part water. Then, use a small amount on the furniture – this is a simply a ‘spot test,’ to ensure that your mixture will not damage the furniture. Once this is confirmed, simply sponge down the area. Make sure you wring and rinse out your cloth or sponge as you clean.
Once the mold has been removed, rinse off the furniture with clean water. This will remove any lingering vinegar and further flush away possible pathogens. Once you leave it to air dry, your job is done! The vinegar smell will leave within the next few hours, and the spores will hopefully leave indefinitely.
2. Create a Bleach Solution
Always be careful when using bleach, and never mix it with unknown cleaners. It’s also best NOT to use bleach on upholstery because it runs the risk of discoloration. Thus, it’s better to use this solution on white fabrics, wood and other non-porous furniture.
If you believe the mold to have penetrated your furniture and seeped beyond the surface, then it’s time to use bleach. Bleach is an especially effective fungal killer. The sodium hypochlorite ensures that the spores are destroyed. Yet, due to its dangerous strength, you will need to dilute your bleach with water and a bit of detergent.
The ratio of your solution should be 1:10:20. That means you need to mix one part detergent with ten parts bleach. Then dilute that with 20 parts warm water. Apply the solution to the damaged area with a scrub sponge or stiff-bristled brush. Leave this to air dry, and repeat if necessary. There are those who prefer not to use bleach because it is so corrosive.
3. Call a Mold Remediation Company
If you use a mold remediation company, you are spared the struggle of attempting removal by yourself. Killing mold is an arduous task, and not everyone is up for it. In fact, if the affected area surpasses ten feet, the EPA recommends turning over the project to professionals. They can use their training to assess, plan, and enact a mold remediation plan.
If you are in need of mold services, we offer them at All Dry USA. Our mold remediation service is designed to actively sanitize, disinfect, and dehumidify the affected area. Armed with more than ten years of remediation experience, we have the knowledge and skill to cleanse your belongings of any unwanted fungi.
If you decide to remove mold on your own, you need to make certain that you are doing so in a safe fashion. According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, mold counts rise from ten to 1,000 times their amount during a cleaning project! Thus, it’s imperative that you do everything to protect yourself during this increase of pathogens.
You’ll want to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) that is CDC recommended. These include an n95 respirator and heavy-duty gloves. Make certain that you protect your body with long sleeves and long pants. Conduct all cleaning outside, and remember to dispose of all items that come in contact with the fungus.