Can an Electrical Outlet Catch Fire if Nothing Is Plugged In?

Can an Electrical Outlet Catch Fire if Nothing Is Plugged In?

Year by year, electrical failures occur, devastating homes and families. Electrical fires are one of the most prominent reasons for residential fires. It’s no surprise with the number of devices and appliances we constantly have plugged in, using live electricity.

Still, homeowners might be shocked to learn that an electrical outlet, also known as receptacles, can still catch on fire even when you have nothing plugged into the socket!

The good news is that by knowing what to look for, you can easily prevent these fires in your home.

Most Common Reasons for an Outlet Catching Fire With Nothing Plugged In

It can be nerve-wracking to think that your home may be at risk of a fire, but knowing the leading causes of this problem and how to prevent it can make all the difference.

Ignoring the Warning Signs

Before we reveal the most common reasons for an empty outlet catching fire, it’s important to note some warning signs you might notice if there is a danger in your home, such as:

  • A circuit breaker keeps tripping
  • Unexplained burn smell with no visible source
  • Charring on switches and outlets
  • Flickering lights
  • Sporadic power outages
  • Switches, appliances, and devices that feel extremely hot to the touch

If you notice any of these in your home, it’s vital to notify professionals right away to inspect what could be the root issue.

Every year, nearly 4,000 Americans lose their lives in residential fires, and over 2,000 suffer serious injuries. But if you keep on the lookout for these warning signs and respond appropriately, you could avoid becoming one of the statistics.

Worn-Out Electrical Outlets and Switches

Ungrounded, worn-down electrical outlets cause a majority of electrical fires. As time passes, these outlets and the wires behind them begin to loosen.

Most commonly, this happens to outlets used for larger appliances, like refrigerators or dryers. When these outlets and wires begin to loosen up, they run the risk of potentially breaking and can cause an electrical fire.

Can an Electrical Outlet Catch Fire if Nothing Is Plugged In?

So what can you do to your old outlets and switches? If you suspect these items may be coming detached, you must check them right away. It could require a simple tweak like tightening the screws or a more serious fix like having to replace the whole outlet.

Old, Outdated Electrical Wiring

Another leading cause of residential fires is faulty or aluminum wiring. Most homes over 50 years old have aluminum wire instead of copper wire. Aluminum wires run a higher risk of catching on fire because they are softer and expand more than copper, which causes a higher risk of breakage and overheating.

In houses older than 20 years, it’s best to get your wiring checked out by a professional. It can be difficult to inspect the conditions on your own. An expert can help you check for old wiring or issues with your outlets or circuit panels. Ensuring the electrician you hire follows the National Electric Code is vital to fixing any wires that could cause an electrical fire.

What to Do if an Outlet Catches Fire With Nothing Plugged In?

It takes only 30 seconds for a small flame to progress into a significant fire. As a homeowner, one of the most important precautions you can take is to have a smoke detector and a fire extinguisher in your home.

Ensure that these items are functional and that your extinguisher is accessible. These tools are critical in the unfortunate event that your outlet catches fire with nothing plugged in and can be the difference between life and death.

Once the imminent danger subsides, check with your local fire department to confirm it is safe to re-enter your home. The next step is to determine the cause and recruit an expert to get everything up to code.

Some precautions you can take to avoid any future fires include:

  • Repairing or replacing loose outlets
  • Having a qualified professional replace old aluminum wiring with new copper wires
  • Avoiding the use of extension cords
  • Repairing or replacing appliances you suspect of not working properly

Frequently Asked Questions

Is Covering an Outlet a Fire Hazard?

Outlet covers are not a fire hazard and can work as a safety precaution in several situations. Covering your outlets is highly recommended for those with toddlers in the home. They may also come in handy if you notice an ill-fitting plug and you need to get your outlet checked out.

Is a Dead Outlet a Fire Hazard?

A dead outlet usually results from old, loose wires or a tripped circuit breaker. They can be a cause for concern as a fire hazard.

If you suspect your outlet may be dead, it’s best to eliminate other possibilities before calling an electrician. Confirming that the outlet is dead and not just connected to a broken appliance or an off switch can save you some money in the long run.


Knowing the leading causes and what to do in case of an electrical fire is only half the battle. Hiring trusted experts can help you put your mind at ease and protect your most precious assets.

All Dry USA has been around for over a decade and is available to help you 24/7/365. Call today for professional fire damage restoration, water damage repairs, and more!

Can an Electrical Outlet Catch Fire if Nothing Is Plugged In?
Call Now ButtonCALL US NOW!

Before You Go

We know that you'll love our service!

Schedule an inspection with All Dry USA today.


Schedule Inspection