19 Jul Where There’s Smoke, There May Be Fire
Why change your smoke alarm and/or battery? It could save your life. If a fire does occur you can hire our Hicksville fire damage restoration experts at All Dry USA to fix your home or business.
How often should they be replaced? If you don’t know, you’re not alone, most home owners don’t know the answer. Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years. U.S. homes may have smoke alarms that have outlasted their functionality, putting people at risk. Here are some findings.
- 50% of Americans have 3 or more smoke alarms in their home
- 1 in 5 Americans have a smoke alarm (19 percent) that is 10+ years old
- Nearly 1 in 5 Americans don’t know how old their smoke alarm is
- When asked how often smoke alarms should be replaced, most homeowners answered incorrectly
- Working smoke alarm reduces the risk of death in half
A smoke alarm’s age can be determined by looking on the back or side of the alarm. When smoke alarms begin to chirp, that’s when the battery needs to be replaced. Be safe and check your smoke alarm monthly.