Image 1

How Severe Does Water Damage Need to be to Cause Mold?

Whether it’s a result of a burst pipe, a storm outside, a backed-up drain, or anything else – flooding is the last thing any homeowner wants to see on their property. The water can wreak so much havoc on your building, to swelling the wood and paint, to introducing electrical hazards in your home, to even posing health risks. Flood water often contains bacteria, mud, sewage, and even chemical toxins. However, even after the immediate problem of the flood has been taken care of, one of the issues that will take time to become evident is mold.

If not tended to properly, after a flood, you might find that your house begins to smell weird – and if you ignore it, you might even find that the smell goes away. However, the smell hasn’t really left your house; you will have merely become adjusted to it. This is how so many homeowners go on throughout their lives, thinking they took care of all the damage from the flood, when in truth they are being exposed to dangerous health risks as a result of the mold.

Is My Home’s Water Damage Bad Enough to Cause Mold?

This is a question that so many homeowners ask – and the answer is yes! It doesn’t take much to be enough to invite mold growth into your home. The stuff is smelly and unsightly, but most importantly, it can pose a health risk and to you and your family, as well as anyone else who spends a lot of time in your home. Think about how much time you spend in your house – you sleep there every night! This prolonged exposure to mold gives it a lot of time to affect your body.

Some of the symptoms you might experience from living in a moldy home include throat irritation, nasal stuffiness, wheezing and coughing, skin irritation, and eye irritation. Those who are allergic to mold might have more pronounced reactions. Even otherwise healthy people might experience respiratory tract symptoms, coughing, and wheezing. Those with asthma especially will be susceptible to the effects of being in a moldy environment for prolonged periods of time.

What this means is that mold is a significant enough problem that you should want to go to great lengths to avoid it growing in your home. At the first sign of water damage, it’s best not to simply tell yourself that it’s minor and write it off.

Water damage is a particularly tricky beast to contend with because the damage it causes is not immediately clear. The longer it is left untreated, the worse the problem becomes – and it could take quite some time for the mold to make itself known. For this reason, it’s best to err on the side of caution and treat any water damage in your home promptly to prevent a mold problem before it arises!

My Home Has Been Exposed to Water Damage – What Do I Do?

Now that you know it doesn’t take much for mold to enter into your home, the next question you’re probably asking is, “So, what do I do about it?”

The first thing that you should do is call upon the help of a professional. This way, they can stop the water damage in its tracks before it gets worse and causes more problems in your home. They can also take measures to make sure that mold doesn’t target your home as the ideal place to set up camp.

Another thing you won’t want to delay in doing is calling your insurance company. While it’s common for insurance companies not to pay out in cases of water damage, there are certain steps you can take to give yourself the best chance at submitting a successful claim. This will help you to get the money that you need to be thorough in your treatment of the water damage, repairing all the damage done to your home and keeping your property a mold-free zone!

The Verdict

When you find that your home has been flooded or otherwise exposed to an excess of water, it’s important to keep a level head and act fast. To reduce the amount of damage done to your property and safeguard your family’s health, call us at All Dry USA today! We offer restoration services for residential and commercial properties that have been affected by water damage, fire, smoke, mold, and more!

Ben Suiskind

Chief Executive Officer at All Dry USA
With Ben’s knowledge, and visionary leadership, All Dry USA has expanded into a national, full-service property damage restoration company with multiple locations across the United States. Ben holds numerous specialty licenses and certifications in restoration and construction.
Ben Suiskind

Latest posts by Ben Suiskind (see all)

Call Us Now