Your Wife's Smokin', Your Kitchen Shouldn't Be

Smoke Damage House

When's the last time you replaced a power strip? Replaced a toaster? Left a flat iron on? We are all guilty of these and more, but what does it matter? Nothing usually catches on fire or causes damage. Right? Contrary to belief, the majority of fire and smoke damage come from household products. These appliances and devices range from Dishwashers, Flat Irons, Toaster, Power Strips, and etc. Over the course of a few short years, appliances can start to break down and become a fire hazard. Short outs of these can cause damage to your home. Here are some of the common causes.

Common Appliances:

  • Dishwashers - Faulty elements can start a fire
  • Dryers - Lint catches fire
  • Microwaves - If it powers on by itself, unplug immediately
  • Toasters - If it doesn't turn off, unplug immediately
  • Old Powerstrips - Replace every 3-5 years
  • Flat Irons - if left on, can overheat

Other House Fires Causes

  • Candles - Blow them out when finished
  • Electrical - Overloading electrical outlets
  • Cooking - Grease Fires

Tips

  • Don't use water to put out a grease fire.
  • Avoid using water to extinguish a candle.
  • Clean dryer lint regularly.
  • Unplug toasters after every use.
  • Select the correct extension cord.
  • Avoid overloading electrical outlets.
  • Do not run appliances when you're not home.

Always make sure your smoke detectors have working batteries and are replaced regularly. It's important to take preventative measures, but we can't always predict an accident. For when accidents happen, you can contact the service professionals at All Dry USA for emergency response.

Our Affiliations